Thursday, 10 July 2014

A Glimpse Into Old Brunei in Photos

SINCE 1888, photos of old Brunei brief history were captured only by staff of British residents. Only after 1900, a Chinese photographer, Lim Kah Pow, came to Brunei and opened the very first studio at Jalan Sultan Pekan Brunei. His shop was called Kong How’s Photo Studio and he brought his photography equipment from China. The shop had ‘kajang’ roof with walls made of  palm leaves.
Some old Brunei photos can be traced to 100 years back and are well kept by the great grandchildren of early Kampong Ayer residents.
Brunei Old Photo A 1915 photo shows what men wore at that time
Brunei Old photo A 1915 photo shows what men wore at that time
What people wore in the old days was very much different from the current fashion trend. The men would wear a ‘Sarong’ with a black songkok. Some would also wear a ‘Tengkolok’ on their heads which is a type of turban. Some would carry a walking stick called ‘limpanas’ whenever they are visiting to Bandar Brunei or cross the dense jungles to get to their destination.
Brunei Old Photo Hats were a top fashion accessory in the 1920s
Brunei Old Photo Hats were a top fashion accessory in the 1920s
Girls would wear anklets with small bells which would make tinkling sounds with every movement. Older women would wear ‘Kebaya’ with Sarong ‘Batek Jawa’ and their hair would either be untied or twisted into a round bun.
During the old days, it was hard to see young females going into town on their own. They would usually be accompanied by their parents.
Brunei Old photo A family photo in the 1920s  -  PHOTOS: Haji Mohd Daud Abd Rahman
Brunei Old photo A family photo in the 1920s  -  PHOTOS: Haji Mohd Daud Abd Rahman
source :
http://borneobulletin.brunei-online.com.bn/?p=199730

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...